Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Morning reflections over Chex cereal

I was reflecting this morning over a bowl of gluten free chex, sugar coated cereal. I have been completely sober for four years now. No alcohol, drugs, coffee and I'm even slowly weaning myself off sugar. I have really come a long way and when I look back to who I used to be, it's seems like a million years ago.

Gone are the days of feeling the need to impress people or do things to look good. For me now, it's all about what feels good. If it doesn't feel right, I don't do it. The freedom that comes with being sober is incredible because the mind just becomes more and more alert, sharp and refined. No external thing can take me out of the game. The only battle is with my own mental tendencies and alternating emotions. The mind when it's free of substance becomes a power house of clarity and focus. Every morning you rise to greet the day without fear.

I believe narcotics, including unhealthy foods and drinks are a way of self sabotage. A way to make it that much harder on ourselves to stay centered and true to our hearts and to keep the focus through out the day. Anything that takes us away from our true nature is a low dose of poison that slowly builds in the body and mind. Look at TV for example, an external source that upon excess consumption slowly transforms a once healthy person into unhealthy, lazy and overweight.

Just the other day as I walked down the seawall at Sunset, I felt high. As my mind and body are fed higher sources of energy; raw foods, sunlight, meditation, yoga, I feel my consciousness going with it. The real high comes from being straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment