Thursday, January 19, 2012

early morning reflections

I was reflecting early this morning as I sat on my yoga mat in candlelight. I love this peaceful time early in the morning when I give myself permission to completely devote my attention inward to myself. When I wake up early, it gives me a few hours before the obligations to the world take the lead.

I was thinking about how I have been holding back sharing about my experience down in Arizona. Staying with a medicine man, a true medicine made me realize that the true saints, want to stay hidden, they want to stay in the background. A true medicine man is not seeking out being known, and he actually has to make effort to stay out of the public eye. When a true healer gets recongnized, everyone wants to meet him because we all need healing. Staying with a traditional Navajo medicine man and his wife, a medicine woman was an intense and unforgettable experience. He told me not to share what I learnt with people, unless it is in tidbits and I feel that it may be useful for them at this time. As a filmmaker and writer, you can imagine how difficult it was for me to not want to document every word he shared with me. Sometimes I would sneak off after a conversation and make some point form notes in my Iphone. He told me one time, "After you leave, I will look and know everything you write about me". So, although I hid my notes, I knew he already knew.
***I have had the honor over the past 4 years of spending small amounts of time around a few Native American Chiefs. One quality I have come to see they possess is the impeccable ability to read people.
This is a man who can look right through you the second he meets you. You can imagine how uncomfortable 10 days of this type of scrutiny and dissection could cause. But the growth and the strength that came from being fully exposed, is something I can never describe to you. I will begin to compile my notes and the few photos I was privileged enough to take and see what comes. Funny enough, my dad just dropped of Carlos Castanada's book: The teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui way of knowledge. A classic book about a medicine man who teaches a young, curious apprentice about the Native ways and uses of medicinal plants.

In the last 3 years, since 2009 I have been exposed to a myriad of saints, sages, medicine people and enlightened spiritual teachers. I have been honored to have the excuse of a documentary film to be exposed to this frequency of energy. It finally dawned on me this morning, that for someone my age to have this type of exposure, there must be a very good reason. There is a divine hand at work here and everyday I pray for the guidance to tune into and trust that flow. I cannot express how being around these saints has changed my being. My old life seems like a distant memory from some forgettable old movie I saw years ago.

What could possibly be in store for this young, old woman of 27 and what kind of adventures await me on this new slate, just wiped clean....

No comments:

Post a Comment