Friday, June 24, 2011

Moontime Reflections

Waiting for the hot water to boil on the wood burning stove so that I can take my bath.
I have my period and I am soaked from my walk home in the rain.
Pouring a kettle worth of warm water over my body in small cup fulls has become
one of my simple pleasures and luxuries I have given this body lately.

Actually, it's my way of showing myself love. I have decided to save more waste from mother earth and cut up old shirts in replacement of pads and tampons. It makes me feel like a hippie or maybe from the olden days.

I feel so tired and annoyed, it's like I am just waiting for my period to be over so I can feel normal again.
For the last couple of months I have given myself the luxury during my moon time cycle to relax. No work, no cooking or cleaning is required of me nor do I require it of myself. It has taken one year for me to train my partner to be on board with this agreement I have. He is wonderful and he respects that helping me by sweetly tidying up and preparing us simple meals. He understands that I honor and respect myself during that time as traditionally, the native women did in those days. I intend to re-incorporate this powerful teaching into society as taught to me by my teacher, Brooke Medicine Eagle.

Moon time is a sacred time, a time to go inward. A time where much insight and power can be gained for women if they allow themselves the space and time just for themselves. I go so far as to ask my partner politely if I can have the bedroom for my alone space, especially for the first two days of my cycle where I find the energy is the most intense. As partners, we have both agreed to this.
I find the energy of moontime can be quite powerful and sometimes with the man you love around, this energy can be misdirected and come out as anger or frustration. Especially because our feelings can easily be hurt at this delicate time. That is why it is good to have space, for both of us.

Wow, as I write this, I really see how far I've come as a woman and a woman who respects herself. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment