Friday, May 6, 2011

Keep calling


I was taking my morning walk along the sea shore to go do some yoga. I stopped when I noticed a little baby chick sitting all alone of a small rock, surrounded by water. He wasn’t far from the shore, just half a meter or so. He was shivering as the waves rolled in over his little talons. It was a very sad and strange sight as I bent down closer to see what was wrong. The little guy was bobbing his head up and down like he was calling out to some invisible source. The chick had had its eyes pecked out and as I surveyed the beach, I noticed a big rooster who must have been the ass who did it. The poor little chick must have perched himself onto this little rock to protect himself from further attack. I felt so sad watching the chick and I just sat there wondering what to do. Should I push him in the water and help him to die quicker, alleviating the pain or should I lead him back to shore and try to reunite him with the mother hen. 

There was something that hit me on a deep level watching that scene as he silently continued to bob his head up and down. I thought of myself, silently calling to my divine mother as I stumble blindly through the delusion of her Maya. I could feel that same suffering and hopelessness the chick must have felt on that rock, blind and surrounded by water, all alone.

Suddenly from behind me, a small Filipino woman approached and greeted me “good morning”. I smiled at her and immediately she saw the little chick. She was at his side in a split second and scooped him up, bringing him to her cheek, full of care. He didn’t fuss or try to get away, he sat silently in her hands and he seemed happy to be rescued. I watched as she quickly rushed off with him.

I felt a heaviness lift in my heart and realized from that scene there is hope. Divine mother has compassion for each and every child no matter how hopeless their situation may seem. One day she will come and scoop me up tenderly to take me to the safety of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment